Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Batman

    This week is Community Helper Week at Headstart. Isaac's class was discussing what they'd like to be when they grow up. His answer was Batman. His teacher explained that Batman is a fictional character and we need to choose something from real life, but he was not going to be deterred. 
    When I picked him up she explained that he'd had a rough day (in general) and told me this story and that his assignment for the night was to come up with a real job he'd like to do. 
    He fell asleep before we were even out of the parking lot. Then we got busy, so it was bedtime before I talked to him again.
"Isaac, we were supposed to discuss what you'd like to be when you grow up."
He answered "um, Batman." (In a tone that made it clear that he had already made this decision.)
"Why do you want to be Batman?"
"He helps people. And he has a cave!"
I tried from a different angle. 
"Well, you know, no one knows who Batman is, so he doesn't get paid. You always tell me that when you grow up you're going to marry your Honey and have kids. How will you buy them food and clothes if you don't have a job to pay money?"
He thought for a moment and replied, "I want to be Master Bruce."
"Who?"
"You know, Master Bruce, he wears a suit and carries a thing..."
"Briefcase?"
"Yeah, he carries a briefcase, um, he's Bruce Wayne. I want to be Bruce Wayne. Cuz he has a job, and gets paid, and he's Batman and he helps people."
"So you want to be a business man like Bruce Wayne?"
"Yeah, I want to be Bruce Wayne."

And then I gave up 😳

No comments:

Post a Comment